The J.R. Wood & Sons Company, founded by John R. Wood, manufactured Deauville jewelry in Brooklyn, NY starting in 1850. His sons Rawson L. and St. John Wood also joined the firm. In 1919, the company was recognized for its skills in diamond cutting, wedding ring making and for the manufacturing of fine gold and platinum jewelry. In the early years, the company employed many workers (the facilities were large enough to accommodate up to 1,000 workers) for the firm housed a Platinum Department, a Mounting Department, a Signet Ring Department and a Special Order Department to produce their jewelry lines. The company designed and produced, bracelets, brooches/pins, dainty lavaliers, cuff buttons, cufflinks, bangles, rings, lockets, and pocket watches using 10K, 14K and 18K gold (white, green and yellow gold during the war years) with some filigree and platinum metal use. Wesselton diamonds, ruby, sapphire, amethyst and garnet stones, seed pearls and outstanding rhinestones were used in their designs. In 1970, the company became a part of Lenox, Inc., the Keepsake Division, Trenton, NJ., and in 1975, the firm's name was changed to Art-Carved Inc. Mark: "Deauville", "Art-Carved" for wedding rings. In their later years, the company produced some of their jewelry of less quality with black Japanned and gold plated metal bases using colored rhinestones and crystals, aurora beads, and white baroque beads. Queen For A Day gave away Art-Carved jewelry. The company is still in business today.